Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Blessing of The Fishing Fleet

   While I ministered in Freeport Grand Bahama I was asked each year to hold a blessing for the fishing fleet. This was an annual deep sea sports fishing event. Boats came from far and wide to participate. The organizers would always ask a local minister to hold a special prayer blessing on the first day of fishing. Very early in the morning I would meet with the chief organizer on a small piece of land jutting out into the ocean. The fleet of boats forty or even more would be all lined up in port waiting for the prayer and waiting for the green light. The organizer called for the attention of all boats and then handed his two-way radio over to me. The following are the very words I shared with the fleet of boats when I was asked to bless the fleet for the very first time.
   The Blessing of the Fleet as you are probably well aware is an old and revered tradition. It has been passed down from generation to generation. It is as ancient as biblical times.
This centuries old rite calls on divine providence to safe guard ships and crews from the danger of the seas. It was meant to ensure that the fishermen would return to port and have a bountiful catch. Let’s ask God’s blessing on your fishing during the days ahead. Let’s pray.
   Dear Lord who art the creator of earth, sea and sky and all that dwell therein we give thanks for the day before us. We ask for your blessing upon the fishing fleet; a blessing of calm waters, blue skies, fair winds, comradeship, a good catch but most important of all a safe return to port. Lord, who chose fishermen for his disciples bless the men and women of the fishing fleet today. In Jesus name we pray; Amen.  
    I’m sure that most of you have heard of the serenity prayer!
God, grant me the
SERENITY
to accept the things
I cannot change

COURAGE
to change the
things I can

and
WISDOM
to know the difference
The Serenity Prayer for Fishermen is as follows:
God, grant me the Serenity
To accept the size of the fish I catch;
The courage not to fib about it,
And the wisdom to know
That no one would believe me anyway.
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment