Sunday, August 18, 2013

Disappointment

Disappointment





Allow me to share with you a disappointment that Jillian and I experienced on our holidays just last month. Jillian had travelled to Hamilton Ontario a week before I left the Island. She wanted to be there to help her mom celebrate an important birthday. When I joined her a week later we continued to enjoy a further two days with her family.

On the third day after our arrival we picked up our rental truck and drove to the town of St Marys where we once lived. We had furniture in storage and planned to move it to the house we had bought in Florida just a year earlier. My brother Jim and I had taken a truckload of furniture down the previous year. What Jillian and I were moving was the left-over’s; some clothes, some personal items, some pictures, and a couple of chairs. Our son-in-law Randy and our daughter Natalie drove up from Chatham to help us load the truck. It took us a good day but finally the last of our left-over’s were in the truck. We drove to our daughter and husband’s house where we were to spend two days. We were excited this furniture was the last of our items in storage. It would be great to have these items in Florida. We were also excited to be able to spend some great time with our family. Our two grandsons James and Mitchell are growing up so quickly and we were looking forward to spending time with them.

Our visit with family went by quickly and too soon Jillian and I were on our way to the US border crossing between Windsor and Detroit. It only took us a little over an hour to drive the distance. Slowly we crossed over the bridge between the two countries. I was careful to move into the clearly marked truck lane and after some stopping and starting we finally reached the custom booth, it was July 4th. I explained to the young man when asked what I was carrying that it was odds and ends of furniture that we were moving them to our house in Florida. I explained to him that I had taken a load down the previous year and that this was simply the balance. After many many questions and a phone call to his boss we were told to move to a large building where our truck would be X-rayed. Entering the building and coming to a complete stop we were then told to exit the truck while it was x-rayed. The x-ray didn’t take long and the men were friendly. We were then told to park the truck in an outside yard and to enter a certain building where an officer in the Immigration Department would be waiting for us. It didn’t take us long to find the building and the officer. She was very pleasant and began to ask us a serious of questions; where were we going, what was in the truck, what was our nationality, where were we living, how long we planned to be in the states etc. etc. We were becoming very concerned. Everyone had to check with their boss and so did this officer. Finally, she reappeared and asked Jillian to follow her. I presumed that she meant me also and so I proceeded to follow my wife. I was told; “Not you, a male officer will be out for you!” What happened was that both of us with hands stretched up the wall were body searched. Following the body search we were both finger printed before being taken back to the waiting room. The officer excused herself to consult with her boss. Finally she reappeared with what she said was; “not so good news.” You and your wife can proceed to Florida but not your furniture. “You cannot take your furniture with you.” After further conversation we found to our disappointment that we were declared to be a high risk. The only house we owned was in Florida having sold our house in Canada and living in a house provided by the church in Bermuda. The conclusion was; “What if the church terminated your ministry in Bermuda? You don’t own a house there, you don’t own one in Canada the only house you own is in the States so………………” It was of little value to explain to them that if for some reason the church in Bermuda would terminate our ministry there that we would simply return to Canada and apply for another church. We were disappointed that we would not be able to take the last of our belongings to Florida. After years in storage, after renting a truck, after having made one trip and after spending much time in packing it was time to return with our property to Canada! The good news was that we could travel to Florida in our truck but that the truck had to be empty. We were given a paper document to show the Canadian authorities and pointed to where the exit and return gate to Canada was located. I might add that I was asked; “why did you take the truck lane instead of remaining in the car lane above?” My simple response was; “I was driving a truck.” It was then explained to me that the sign “truck” at a border crossing means tractor-trailer.” I wished the lady a happy July 4th and we left.

The following day we would return with an empty truck. But I am going to wait until my next blog to tell you what happened, you will not believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment